Tuesday, November 17, 2015

My dream of becoming a citizen...

Of the world.

Hello! I am Carol and I am an immigrant. Actually, not yet… I am in the process of getting a permanent status in Canada. But my family and I have the intention to settle here, so I would consider us immigrants already.

We are a family of three: my husband, my 10 years old daughter and myself. We have been living here in Canada for one year and two months. Since we moved we have been through so many experiences and emotions. I would dare to say that sometimes it seems we are in a roller coaster (with all the good and the bad that a roller coaster can possibly have).

It all started two years ago, at the end of 2013, when my husband and I decided to live overseas again. We are from Brazil and we have had this experience before, we have spent 5 years in London, England. Actually, we met there. But this is another story, for another post maybe.

Once we had decided to come to Canada, we started to research tirelessly (I mean it) about all the process of moving to another country. And every day of our lives since we decided to move until the day we got here, was about dreaming of our new home… And planning.

First of all, let me emphasize that this blog is not about immigration laws. Each country has its own rules. Consider visit the country’s website if you are interested in that. Canada, for example.
This blog is about our experience, our emotions, and our adventure. It’s about getting out of the comfort zone. It’s about questions, possibilities and dreams.

It is about a word that it does not even exist in English.
Saudades.
It’s a Portuguese word that it does not exist in English. It has a lot of feelings and emotions, and a very deep sense of compassion. It’s a noun and means that you profoundly miss somebody, but it’s deeper than that. It involves nostalgia and heartache at the same time. And believe me, still can be a positive feeling.

This blog is about life.
                 
I don't like the word immigrant.
I actually hate it. It sounds fragile to me. Sounds almost illegal and perhaps that is the overall perception people have on immigrants. When I tell people, with my strong accent, that I am from Brazil, sometimes I can feel the sorrow or the embarrassment on their voice.

It’s ok. Being an immigrant, fortunately, was my choice. Was my dream.

My husband and I wanted so badly to experience this that we take our new life as a wonderful chance to start fresh. That is a gift to us and it is amazing!

Immigrants who have chosen to immigrate usually are very strong people, who know what they want and work hard, very hard to get it. They possibly will have accents. And they will speak two (or more) languages. They will know two or more cultures. They are aware of diversity as nobody else.

I wish the word immigrant had a more positive meaning. And I wish the word - and the immigrants - were associated to courage, resilience, and strength.


Yes, we are immigrants. We took the route to Winnipeg!

No comments:

Post a Comment